Childhood is very precious the way you took pleasure in small things. One can never forget the memories of Childhood, Sadly each year millions of children undergo diagnoses for Thalassemia.
These children have to suffer a lot of problems
Problem faced by these children
- Problems start within the 1st year of life.
- Small kids have to undergo diagnosis at very young age.
- They can’t play outdoor games as they get fatigue soon.
- Their appetite gets decreased and also growth retardation occurs.
- They can’t sleep well.
- Frequently they had to undergo blood transfusions at an interval of 20-25 days.
- They have to pass through painful childhood days.
- Many children die due to unavailability of blood
What is Thalassemia?
Thalassemias are a type of inherited blood disorder, “inherited: implies that the disorder passed from guardians to kids through genes. In general, it is blood disorder involving lower-than-normal amounts of an oxygen-carrying protein in the blood.
This disorder cause production of fewer healthy red blood cells and less hemoglobin than normal.
Individuals who have thalassemias can have mild or serious weakness. Weakness is caused by a lower than the average number of red platelets or insufficient hemoglobin in the blood platelets, this condition is also known as Anemia.
In case of serious Anemia, child can suffer the following problem: –
- 1.Weak bones
- 2.Expended Bone marrow (Bone marrow is responsible for producing blood cells).
- 3.Enlarge Spleen(The spleen is an organ that helps your body fight infection and remove unwanted material If the spleen becomes too large it has to be removed.)
- 4.Poor Appetite.
The healthy blood is transfused into the child’s body so that he can enjoy his normal life and live into adulthood. As Red Blood Cells not live for very long (about 100-120 day) the child has to go through repeated transfusions. In case of serious Thalassemia, one will need regular transfusion likely every two weeks. This method is quite expensive and it is difficult to find the perfect blood donor every time.
There are other treatments like Blood and Marrow Stem Cell Transplant from another person but has the risky procedure and very small number of people are able to find a donor.